birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Protocol/Forest Ravens

To: Damian Kelly <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Protocol/Forest Ravens
From: Glen WHITE <>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:03:42 +1000 (AEST)
Damian
Good idea. Herewith some feedback to my RFI.

Thanks to those who responded to my request for identifying
FR's,particularly at Ironbark Basin Reserve, Vic.

FR's are apparently rare in this area but more common further west along
the coast,especially the Otways and as as far east as Aireys Inleet.

Identification mainly by bill shape (more massive than Little); shorter
tail, obvious even in flight, and call, deeper than both Little and
Australian although sometime with a "trailing-off" quality. When
perched,the FR's tail is level with wing-tips (tail longer in Little and
Australian.

Marilyn Hewish gave the following information:
"FR's tend to be in denser habitats than Littles and get down on the
ground under the forest canopy which Littles don't tend to do. In the
Otways any raven calling from under the forest canopy will be a Forest"
Marilyn also says that FR's tend to be loners, but that individuals might
join Littles for company.

Glen White

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Damian Kelly wrote:

> Just a thought on protocol.
>
> We should be sharing information more - for example these RFI's can
> produce useful information.
>
> How about the requester making a summary and posting just that to the
> list. All we often see is "thanks to everyone for the information". Kind
> of useless. How about "thanks, for the info, and here is a summary
> for those interested ...."
>
> Any comments?
>
> Damian
>

> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)