birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Directory of Aust birds

To: "'Rohan Clarke'" <>, "" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus Directory of Aust birds
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:15:05 +1100
Thanks, Rohan for a really interesting posting, as we've come to expect from
you.
I'm particularly interested in the proposed split of Scarlet Robin from Pacific
Robin on Norfolk Island. I'm wondering if anyone on Birding Aus can throw any
light on the taxonomy of this complex/clade in the Pacific region. Having seen
Scarlet Robin looking very out of place (to my eyes) in tropical rainforest in
Fiji and given this proposed split, it would seem quite possible to me that the
Fijian form would also be well worth looking at.
In the same vein, does anyone know of any work that is being done on the Golden
Whistler complex in the Pacific? The forms on various islands are so different
to the Australian form that they would surely be worth further scrutiny.

Susan

Susan Myers
Ph. +61 3 9899 9303
Fax +61 3 9890 8911