birding-aus

birding-aus Directory of Aust birds

Subject: birding-aus Directory of Aust birds
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:34:05 +1100
Hi all,
Just received our copy of the new Directory of Aust birds (Passerines) by R.
Schodde and I. Mason. I believe this is the first reference that attempts to
catalogue all recognised (including newly recognised) forms of Aust birds
(i.e to subspecies (ultrataxa) level). The information contained within is
excellent but with a RRP of $180 it might be best to check it out at a
library first. (if anyone is still interested I know were one can get it for
$162). At the species level they propose a number of lumpings and splittings
that may be of interest to birders, conservationists, managers, etc.

Proposed lumpings are:
Brown (Tasmanian) Scrubwren with White-browed Scrubwren
Tropical Scrubwren with Large-billed Scrubwren
Black-eared Miner with Yellow-throated Miner
Spotted Catbird with Green Catbird

Proposed splits are:
Short tailed Grasswren (Flinders ranges) from Striated Grasswren (other
populations)
Kalkadoon Grasswren (Mt Isa Area) from Dusky Grasswren (Central form)
Western Fieldwren (SW WA form) from Rufous Fieldwren (semi-arid and arid
zone form)
Western Wattlebird (SW WA form) from Little Wattlebird (Eastern form)
White-browed Robin (QLD) from Buff-sided Robin (Kimberly and Top End)
Scarlet Robin (Mainland Aust) from Pacific Robin (Norfolk Island)
Mallee Whipbird (all mallee forms in WA, SA and possibly Vic) from Western
Whipbird (Near coastal WA )
Western Shrike-tit (SW WA) from Eastern Shrike-tit
Northern Shrike-tit (North. Aust) from Eastern Shrike-tit
Arafura Fantail (Top End and Kimberly form) from Rufous Fantail (East Coast)
Paperbark Flycatcher (Top End, Kimberly and Gulf Country form) from Restless
Flycatcher (Southern Aust)
Silver backed Butcherbird (Top End and Kimberly form) from Grey Butcherbird
(rest of Aust)
Plus a couple of species split from forms that do not occur in Australia.

Not being a taxonomist I'm not exactly sure where things go from here but I
understand the proposed changes now have to survive the scrutiny and opinion
of other experts. If they receive widespread support they stand as are, if
they are disputed things may change again (nothing's set in concrete). The
take home message for people with an interest in bird watching (in any one
of it's many forms) is to identify and record species to recognizable forms
(rather than just the currently accepted species level) wherever possible.

Regards

Rohan

Rohan Clarke
Department of Zoology