birding-aus

birding-aus Twitchathon

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Twitchathon
From: "S Cooney" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:01:51 +1100
Hi all,

Just returned from my first twitchathon, and slept of the damage.  A
fantastic weekend and a great result from the newly formed Black-tailed
Upstarts.  With David Geering boldly and patiently leading us (Koren
Mitchell, Norm Cooney and myself) we set off on a 1400 km odyssey around
Victoria.  We racked up a total of 178 birds; best birds Striated Grasswren
and Pied Honeyeater.  Worst dips; Bell Miner or Rainbow Lorikeet (and
nearly Spotted Turtle-Dove).

For people who haven't participated in one before I can highly recommend
it.  As a newish birder I got about thirty new ticks on my first
birdwatching trip to Victoria's Mallee and we raised a couple of hundred
dollars for the Vic Group.

Congratulations to the CDP's and all the other teams.  Next year, with a
more expert ear (I'll practice and practice), we'll hit the 200 club!

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart Cooney

quotes)