birding-aus

birding-aus More migrants

Subject: birding-aus More migrants
From: "Niven McCrie" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:24:49 +0930
At the Darwin sewage works this afternoon, two Barn Swallows and
a few White-winged Black Terns. The latter have been around for at
least a few days, since Graham Pizzey saw one (or more) last
Friday. The Flock Bronzewing is still hanging around, but the
Welcome Swallow wasn't there this afternoon. The Little Ringed
Plover was, but I'm not sure about the Pectoral & Broad-billed
Sandpipers since the flock of waders was a bit distant. Little
Curlew numbers are building up but I haven't seen any Oriental
Plovers since the few that were at the sewage works on Sunday.
I heard a Koel at the weekend, and Dollarbirds have been around
for a while. Some other migrants tend to arrive later - Yellow
Wagtail and Garganey during October (normally) and Oriental
Cuckoo, Snipe and Oriental Pratincoles late October or early
November. Oriental Pratincoles have been extremely scarce for the
last few years, so hopefully there'll be an influx this year.

Enjoy your birding
Niven