birding-aus

birding-aus 'black-and-white' fairy-wren

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus 'black-and-white' fairy-wren
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:05:46 +1000
Hi all,

A nice surprise on the way home last week, between Blackall and Tambo in Central Qld,  was a black White-winged Fairy-wren. This was on a fence in Mitchell grass downs. He certainly stood out from the usual bright cobalt blue fellows I normally see (which is not to denigrate the spectacle of the 'usual'!).
There have been quite a few reports of black male WWFW's at various mainland locations over the years, enough for Pizzey and Knight to describe the mainland race leuconotus as 'occasionally black'. Interestingly, they also note that the nominate race is sometimes blue. I'm speculating that the black coloration in males is a recessive sex-linked genetic trait that occasionally manifests itself in the widespread mainland race but has become relatively fixed in the smaller gene pool of the island-based nominate race. Any geneticists out there want to wise me up on this?
--
Richard Johnson
Senior Conservation Officer, Habitat Case Studies