birding-aus

birding-aus Re: outback travel

Subject: birding-aus Re: outback travel
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:55:40 PDT
Hi Allan, Laurie, Tony and everyone else,

I think the concerns expressed by Allan might apply to genuinely remote
areas, but the major outback routes where I went receive quite a large
amount of tourist and other traffic, at least in the cooler months. Sorry
Allan and Tony, but I have to disagree with you - at no time did I feel I
was doing anything dangerous and I certainly don?t think I was reckless, in
fact I feel safer in the outback than closer to cities and coastal areas. On
such trips I always carry enough water and food in case I am stranded for a
week or more by rain. I carry two spare tyres (neither of which I had to
use), spare fuel and other basic spares, and my car is in excellent
mechanical condition. As Laurie said, a 4WD is no guarantee you won?t get
bogged and it can encourage people to try too much. The key is in driving
according to the conditions and the capabilities of your vehicle.

On my trips I keep in regular contact with friends/family and let them know,
at least roughly, where I am heading (but allowing for some flexibility). If
I were to venture anywhere really remote, I would give an exact planned
route.

I have been travelling alone to ?outback? areas every year since 1994.
Before that I have been bushwalking alone for many years in the Blue
Mountains, sometimes to truly remote places, and have never had to be
rescued by anyone. I don?t recommend everyone does this, but for me it?s
such an important part of my life that I can?t imagine not doing it. And I
know of quite a few other people, of both sexes, who do the same. Of course
it?s a bit more risky bushwalking alone than with a group, but if you have
adequate experience, are sensible and know and respect your limitations then
those risks are small. Probably smaller than with a lot of other things we
do in day to day life. The experience of being alone in the bush is well and
truly worth it.

I?m not trying to encourage foolhardiness, but I also don?t think we should
discourage a sense of adventure if it is teamed with a good dose of common
sense.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets