birding-aus

birding-aus Regional Forest Agreement

Subject: birding-aus Regional Forest Agreement
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:44:50 +1000 (EST)
FROM Syd Curtis in Queensland
(another bounced message - I hope I've fixed the filter system now - RDW)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:21:40 +1000
From:  (Syd Curtis)
Subject: Regional Forest Agreement SE Queensland

Hello everyone,

        May I ask anyone who approves of the conservation of bird habitat,
to write a short note of thanks to congratulate the Queensland Premier,
Peter Beattie on the regional forest agreement.

 Depending on your proximity to south-eastern Queensland, you may or may
not have heard that the Regional Forest Agreement has been signed.  And the
outcome is really great news!

AND IT IS UNIQUE IN AUSTRALIA IN THAT ALL PARTIES ("STAKEHOLDERS") ARE IN
AGREEMENT!!!

Government, timber industry, conservation groups,  -  all are satisfied.
And this unlikely result, which puts both nature conservation and the
timber industry on a better long-term footing, was achieved only through
Beattie's personal interest in achieving it.

The birds of the region would be delighted if they could know, for there is
to be an immediate increase in the area of protected reserves of 425,000
hectares - well over a million acres in the old 'currency', which will
ensure protection of most of the region's biodiversity ... and all of the
all-too-small remnants of old-growth forest, so important for their 'fauna
habitat' trees.

And birding-aus can take some pride in the outcome:  At a critical time in
the process, the Premier was having much difficulty in getting his Labor
colleagues to support his call for a negotiated decision that all parties
agreed to.  At that critical time, a substantial number of birding-aus
subscribers lent their support in a plea to the Premier.  The Labor Party
was convinced  ... or the Premier's resolve was strengthened, and he
continued to insist on getting an agreed decision - even to the extent of
incurring the displeasure of the Federal Forestry Minister, Wilson Tuckey.

Can it be that in Peter Beattie, we actually have a politician who is a
statesman?  It seems so.  I have it on very good authority, that it was
solely as a result of his intervention and steadfast insistence, that we
have achieved this minor miracle.  And it is future generations that stand
to benefit most.

So let us encourage Premier Beattie to continue his stewardship of  this
corner of Australia in this so desirable manner.   Please write or email to
congratulate him on the RFA and thank him for his key role in its
achievement.

And may I express the hope that subscribers from outside Queensland - from
overseas countries and from other Australian States - will do so, to
reinforce the Premier's realisation that,

        (a) major conservation matters and caring for the environment are
of concern to all people, not merely those directly affected; and
        (b) birding-aus has a substantial number of interested and widely
spread subscribers, who may wield considerable influence on matters that
concern us.

For (b) to be effective, you would need to mention in any message to the
Premier, that you are aware of the Agreement through birding-aus.

To email the Premier:

or by post:

        The Hon. Peter Beattie MLA
        Premier of Queensland
        PO Box 185
        Brisbane Albert Street,
        Q.4002  CDE M31

Thanks in anticipation  ... and again my heartfelt thanks for the
birding-aus support that so well contributed to the RFA process.

If anyone would like more detail of what the Agreement has agreed to, email
me and I'll put something together to send to you direct.

Syd Curtis at Hawthorne in Qld

PS.  When I think of our few precious old-growth areas whose magnificent
forest giants are now safe, it brings tears to my eyes.

H Syd Curtis

quotes)