birding-aus

birding-aus new bird for the yard list

Subject: birding-aus new bird for the yard list
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:58:18 +1000
Pleasantly surprised to find 9 Chestnut Breasted-mannikins in the garden
this morning foraging in the bird feeding area. They joined our resident
Zebra Finches and Peaceful Doves, a solitary sparrow, a pair of Magpie
Larks and a pair of Common Mynas.

The latter are a bit toey as my partner and I assist them to get airborne
by throwing corks from Chardonnay bottles at them whenever they try to land.

Other birds in the garden at the moment are White-gaped and Brown
Honeyeaters, Sunbirds, Rainbow Lorikeets and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos,
Drongo and on Sunday a Torresian Crow landed in the poinciana.

A Great Bowerbird is a regular visitor and immitates Black Kites, Brahminy
Kites, Kestrel and Magpie Larks.  No sign of a bower in the immediate area
though: next door there were several shrubs which the Bowerbirds liked but
unfortunately our new neighbour got a chainsaw for his birthday and is
busily turning his yard into a desert.

The juvenile Brown Goshawk, which used to snatch the odd Peaceful Dove from
the feeding area in winter months has left us.

Heard calling in the early hours of this morning: Channel-billed Cuckoo.

Alex Appleman
Townsville

quotes)