birding-aus

birding-aus Re: RFI: counting really tricky parakeets!!

Subject: birding-aus Re: RFI: counting really tricky parakeets!!
From: "Ian Temby"<>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:19:07 +1000
>Could a system such as  say, an expert go into a defined area and survey
the
area to find out the relative proportions of each taxa.   While at the same
time a couple of people simply stratify the area and go through and count
numbers of parakeets?   I know the problems of error here are going to be
very large!!

Seems to me that this might be the best, or least worst, method. It is
similar to what we had to do with aerial surveys of Long-billed Corellas (I
know, they are extremely common where we did our survey).  Sulphur-crested
Cockatoos occur in the same area.  Based on extensive ground survey work,
we knew the proportions of the two species.  From the air, we only had to
count white cockatoos (couldn't always distinguish between the species from
the air), and then apply a correction factor based on our observed
proportions from the ground surveys.

In your case, you would need to know by  how much and over what period the
relative proportions of the two species vary, within defined areas.  If the
variation is not large over the kind of time required for the non-expert
observers to count numbers of parakeets, then this system might be
feasible.  I can't think of a better one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ian

=======================================

Ian Temby

Wildlife Damage Control Officer

Secretary/Treasurer, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association

Flora & Fauna Program

Department of Natural Resources and Environment

4/250 Victoria Parade

EAST MELBOURNE   VIC   3002

AUSTRALIA
Phone          613 9412 4429