birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Having a little rave.

To: "Muir Environmental" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Having a little rave.
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:47:51 +0900
Hi all. I'd like to send out a huge thank you to all those who responded so
volubly to my "little rave" last week. Some of you I have already thanked
privately, but thanks again anyway. ( I was actually expecting a roasting
like I got last time I said something similar three years ago)
You have all restored, to some extent, my belief that there are (some)
people who care about this little old globe of ours, even if you are not
the ones with any ability to do much about looking after it. Certainly, as
many of you expressed, the pollies couldn't care less.
But Jenn Muir's short note today rang a familiar note and set me off again.

Isn't it an enormous human failing that no issue ever gets enough attention
until it starts to hit people in the pocket and affects their standard of
living.
I wonder how long it will be before the populations of the world rise up in
anger at what economic development is doing to the environment, and finally
force their governments to take notice?
My bet is that by that time it will all be too late to save very much at
all, so complete will be the exploitation of the earth by the
industrialists. They will have had their day, and we will have missed ours.

Well, I'll probably be in my box and cooked by then, but it sure bodes
uncomfortably for future generations! Poor devils.

In the meantime - happy birding ( if that's still a possibility)
Tony.

At 11:12  17/08/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi birders
>
>Laurence Living wrote:
>
>"> But, dont give up Tony, Reich in 'The Greening of America" [about the
>gathering
>> protest against war in Vietnam] postulated the importance of growing
>consciousness
>> in the 'few' until that few becomes many. Then we can say we told them
>so!"
>snip
>
>Yes, Reich is right.  What worries me is it takes so long for the few to
>become many.
>
>Jenn
>
>Jennifer Muir

Tony Russell,