birding-aus

birding-aus Common names

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Common names
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:21:35 +1000
I think that Trevor Ford and Denise Goodfellow have got it exactly right
regarding hyphens and capitalisation of vernacular names.

However, whereas I am complete agreement with them I fear that it will not
be correctness that wins the day no matter how much or how well it is
promoted; some common usage, right or wrong, will eventually establish
itself - which is not to say we shouldn't try to help the rest of the world
to get it right!

I remember, as a schoolboy, realising the incorrectness of 12am, most
unique, etc and truly believing that these mistakes would be ironed out -
then 10 or 20 years later being genuinely surprised to find that people were
still saying such things - now another 10 or 20 years later these are still
commonly used, and frustrating as anything! All that has changed is that
I've had to learn to live with it, reluctantly - while the list has grown to
include less/fewer, imply/infer, pathos/bathos and so many more.

Anyway, Denise I agree with you completely, let's keep trying.

By the way I enjoyed your posting on aggression, and I gather you're well
and truly in the north, but where exactly are you?

Black cockies calling outside - got to run!!

Bill Jolly
"Abberton", Helidon, Qld
ph  07 46976111
fax 07 46976056