birding-aus

birding-aus Bird Aggression

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Bird Aggression
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 99 06:10:59 +0930
The occasional Bar-shouldered Dove to visit the feeding site on our
verandah is aggressive to virtually anything else that gets in the way
including Yellow Oriole.

They will raise a wing to scare other doves off, but adopt another tactic
with smaller birds.  They will actually pick  Double-barred Finches up by
the back feathers and chuck them bodily off the feeding platform.
However Chestnut-breasted Mannikins have a way around this.  They land en
masse on the feeding platform, and often on top of the dove which usually
retreats.

Occasionally a Helmeted Friarbird will commandeer the platform and then
no one else gets a look in.  But in the last few days another, bigger
bird has turned up.  It will be interesting to see what strategies other
birds adopt when confronted wit
 an Orange-footed Scrubfowl.

Lastly we used to have a one-winged Brown Falcon and the only creature
that ever stole his food was our dog.  But then the falcon used to steal
hers as well.
Denise Goodfellow

quotes)