birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Colour-changes in Regent

Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Colour-changes in Regent
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:54:36 +1000
At 14:43 11/06/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>David Geering wrote:
>
>> Perhaps what I need to do is issue a colour chart to all banders of Regent
>> Honeyeaters to facilitate the description of facial colour rather than
>> using a more subjective method.
>
>Hello David,
>I have heard that charts (fan-stack?) of numbered colours exist and I
>would
>like to know more.  Do you have any information about such charts? Ease
>of use
>in the field? Price? Availability?
>
>Regards,
>Ros Laundon.

Ros

The colour chart most widely used is:

Naturalists Color Guide by Frank B Smithe (1975). American Museum of Natural
History.

It has examples, and names for some 86 standard colours.
for example there are Olive Green (in three forms), Greenish Olive,
Yellowish Olive Green, Citrine, Olive-Yellow, etc.

You have to see it to believe it.

There is also a supplement that goes with it and which goes
into a good deal of theory - hardly necessary for just
naming a colour (or color)!

I got mine many years ago and can't remember the price,
but they may be available from Andrew Isles, etc.

Yours

Peter
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science & An. Prod.  Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

quotes)