birding-aus

3 things

Subject: 3 things
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:48:16 +1100 (EST)
1. No of bird species in the world: Sibley and Monroe in their list have
9702 spp, but this is bound to keep on rising as a few new species are
discovered and as splitting comes back into fashion.

2. Attachments: I have a creaky old steam-powered e-mail program (no
spell-check, as you may have noticed) that askes me whenever an attachment
is received where I want to file it; if I hit 'cancel' the attachment isn't
saved. (BTW there are still a few birding-ausers whose e-mail programs send
a copy of the e-mail in some other format as an attachment with it). Perhaps
people could look at the preferences in their e-mail programs and activate
'prompt when attachment received', or something.

3. Quail-thrushes: consensus seems to be Cinnamon in Sturt,
Chestnut-breasted further north and east. Thanks for those who replied. I'm
going that way in a few months, and I'll have more questions for you when I
do some more planning.

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606,
Australia

"Intensely anthropogenic landscapes require
vigilant maintenance." J.R. McNeill

http://www.spirit.net.au/~jleonard