birding-aus

Re: Blocking Attachments

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Blocking Attachments
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:53:44 +1100
> [snip]
> I join with others in objecting most strongly at having to wait (in my case
> for 20 minutes) while my computer downloaded a message and attachments that
> I did not want, and in fact could not read, they being in some format
> foreign to my set-up.  I noted in removing them to the trash and discarding
> them  that the attachments amounted to 1566 K!

I received two messages from Academic tours; only the second had the huge
attachments, but the "stealth" addressing and irritation factor were
sufficient to classify them as "spam" (or more correctly, unsolicited
commercial email.)  I forwarded a copy of both messages (minus the
attachments) to the OzEmail administrators  and
they have dealt with the matter as per their Acceptable Use Policy.

Forwarding a copy of such email messages to "abuse" at their ISP
is probably the quickest way to express your displeasure; most ISP's have
an policy against spamming, and will take appropriate action against the
perpetrators.  Details on steps you can take to fight spam can be found at:
   http://spam.abuse.net

    Paul Taylor                                Veni, vidi, tici -
                          I came, I saw, I ticked.