birding-aus

Re: Whistling Kites at Rubbish Tips

Subject: Re: Whistling Kites at Rubbish Tips
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:54:43 +1000
Frank

I wrote a short note for Australian Birds about congregating Whistling
Kites at an egret breeding colony near Grafton.  I don't have the details
on me.  Possibly published 1993?

These birds were apparently cleaning up dead nestlings on the floor of the
colony, a substantial part of which was in Acacia melanoxylon trees on dry
land.  I observed no birds attempting to take live nestlings although
Sea-eagles and Wedge-tailed Eagles did.

David Geering