birding-aus

Re: overseas travel

To: "Susan Myers" <>
Subject: Re: overseas travel
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 18:40:06 +1100 (EST)
>Niels,
>You obviously have some valid arguments but I do note that you seem to
>travel overseas extensively. While I personally have no argument with you,
>many people would also point out that planes also blow a lot of smoke!
>cheers,
>Susan
Dear Folks & Susan

I enjoy this dabate, thank you for bringing this travel thing up. I think
the solution is that every individual buy carboxdixoide credits to do an
activity which harm the environment. It would be easy to calculate CO2 from
a Jet travelling with 400 passangers. And also for manufacturing,
transporting, maintaining and using a four wheel drive and so on. Every
person is allocated a certain amount of credits which are far lower than the
emission per person today and all luxery activity generating CO2 must be
bought. The money collected from this tax is directed to third world
countries and to the environment. I am willing to pay and cut my travel a
lot. Unlike Tony, I am prepared if we can agree to a system to change life
style.

Most of the birds seen in Australia has been seen through work, almost all
NT birds seen from Gouldian Finch Project. I do not own a car,but I think my
air travel is a problem. However a lot of wilderness in Africa, South Africa
have been saved because of ecotourism. Manu National Park would not have
been there if ecotourist had not visited Peru over the years, I would think???

Regards from Niels
Niels Poul Dreyer
5/13 George Street
Pialba, Qld 4655