birding-aus

EUREKA! We have found it (the Blue-faced Parrot-finch).

Subject: EUREKA! We have found it (the Blue-faced Parrot-finch).
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 13:03:55 +1100
What started out as a very quiet morning (several hours ago today, Wed 4th
Nov) up Mt Lewis (near Julatten, Far North Queensland) burst into life with
a startling close view of a single Blue-faced Parrot-finch, top of our
target list and fast reaching mythical status (following a number of
attempts in previous years which left us empty-handed).  Apparently a first
sighting at this site this season was made a little while ago by Glen
Holmes (personal communication from Ron Stannard).
Other good sightings this morning included Golden Bowerbird, Tooth-billed
Bowerbird (singing over his arena bower), Satin Bowerbird, Victoria's
Riflebird (male) and Fernwren.
Before heading up the mountain, excellent views of a calling Buff-breasted
Paradise Kingfisher at the aptly named Kingfisher Park were a good start to
the day.  And long views of a perched Black Bittern yesterday, also at
Kingfisher Park, were not to be sniffed at (certainly better than the
frustrating glimpses of several different Bush Hen which is all we have
been able to manage so far).
And just to finish this exciting (to us, at least) posting, 3 separate
pairs of Double-eyed Fig Parrots in the Port Douglas area over the past few
days were 3 more than we have seen on any previous visits (Chris Dahlberg's
nesting pair on the Daintree a few years ago excepted).
Richard (and Diana)

From:    Dr Richard Nowotny,
             Melbourne, Australia.
             Tel. (w) 61-3-9214.1420