birding-aus

Brief trip report, Little Desert, Victoria

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: Brief trip report, Little Desert, Victoria
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:13:43 +1000
Hi Ozbirders

My partner Fiona and I just returned from 3.5 days in the Little Desert,
Victoria.  Some of the time was spent birding, in areas around our base at
the campground near Kiata, and incidental birds were noted at other times.
The main habitats we birded in were malle heath, mallee-broombush, Yellow
Gum woodland, and Desert Stringybark woodland.  I can provide a list and GPS
waypoints on request to  but some highlights
were as follows:

GREY FALCON - single bird patrolling the mallee/farmland edge NW of the
campground on Sunday.
BUSH STONE-CURLEW - a pair wailing at the almost full moon on Monday night.
SOUTHERN SCRUB-ROBIN - abundant in mallee-broombush on the Salt Lake Track.
SHY HEATHWREN - abundant, singing; same area as scrub-robins.
CHESTNUT QUAIL-THRUSH - a pair in mallee heath in the Salt Lake Track area.
SLENDER-BILLED THORNBILL - a few in low mallee heath bordering Salt Lake
Track.
STUBBLE QUAIL - many calling from wheat crops in areas near the park.
BLACK-EARED CUCKOO - 2 in campground vicinity.
GILBERT'S WHISTLER - abundant in mallee-broombush and mallee heath.
BANDED STILT - some flying over at night.

Cheers, Lawrie