birding-aus

breeding Freckled Ducks

Subject: breeding Freckled Ducks
From: clairel <>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:49:43 +1000
Dear Everybody,
I have taken it upon myself to post this information and ask for help.
And I have done so before someone tells me not to do it.   At the
inspiration, dedication, determination and sheer bloody-mindedness of
Wilma Barden 11 Freckled Ducks have been hatched at the Shortland
Wetlands Centre.  The first clutch of 6 did not survive, but Wilma is
rearing 5 ducklings at present in her front room in cardboard
refrigerator boxes.  Food, imitation grass and a proper heating lamp
have been provided but Wilma is footing the bill for electricity etc.
The arrival of the ducklings means that Wilma is not at the adult
enclosure first thing in the morning and last thing at night seeing to
it that the adult ducks have the correct food.  The lack of funds in
noone's fault, but her hard labour and ensuing  success deserve some
sort of support.  The miminum requirement is a snake/rat/fox/cat proof
fence around the breeding enclosure so that the adult ducks can raise
their own chicks.  Any donations would be gratefully received. Send to
The Shortland Wetlands Centre and mark for expenditure on Freckled
Ducks.
Many thanks,  Ann Lindsey