birding-aus

Silver Gulls at the Prom.(Aust.)

Subject: Silver Gulls at the Prom.(Aust.)
From: "Martin O'Brien"<>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:13:42 +1000
Lainie Berry notes the problems with Silver Gulls in the campground at
Wilsons Promontory National Park at the southern most tip of the Australian
mainland.

I have just returned from another visit to"the Prom." and for the second
season have noted this expanding problem for Parks management.  The design
of the lodges is such that gulls are able to nest under/next to and near
this accomodation.  The nest sites were I thought at a premium but gulls
have just expanded to the landscaped area and even in the parking bays for
visitors.  Last November I even observed a gull nesting next to a parked
cars front wheel with the parent sitting on eggs.

Other "problems" are nesting Common Starlings and Blackbirds, foxes and Hog
Deer and the ubiquitous European Rabbits all in the campground.
Fortunately Rabbit Cailicivirus Disease is now having some effect and the
rangers have noted increased raptors particularly Wedge-tailed Eagles and
Swamp Harriers in the northern section of the park.  Possibly due to this
disease in the rabbits.

Highlights for the four days I was there were:
(a) orchids on many tracks (Cryptostylis, Thelimytra, Diurus, Pterostylis).
(b) White-bellied Sea-Eagle at eye level near the lighthouse.
(c) Hooded Plover on the Oberon Bay beach south of the Tidal River
campground.
(d) A flock of 50 odd Pardalotes heading out to Tasmania.
(e) Southern Boobook calling above a light near our caravan after dark.
(f) Tiger Snake on the Lighthouse Track enjoying the morning sunshine.
(g) Forest Raven in a cage trap at Oberon Bay (we were trapping for Water
Rats).

No luck with Ground Parrots however on the 5 Mile Road.  Maybe next time.

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer
Scientific Advisory Committee
Threatened Species Program
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne,  3002
Victoria, AUSTRALIA

tel: +61 3 9412 4567