birding-aus

Re: Common Names (and hybrids)

Subject: Re: Common Names (and hybrids)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:58:18 +1000
If only C&B had had the nerve to lump Scaly-breasted and Rainbow
Lorikeets I wouldn't have a problem in atlassing the 2??? species down
here.

As it is there are enough scalys (greatly outnumbered by rainbows) and
my hearing is bad enough for it to be impossible for me to say with
certainty which variety of lorikeet is whizzing overhead.

Lumping scalys and rainbows has been on the agenda for ages (or a
neurone-firing relative to evolutionary time-scales). Will someone
really authoritative please do it.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Vic.