birding-aus

Re: Common Names (and hybrids)

Subject: Re: Common Names (and hybrids)
From: Mike Owen <>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:50:32 +1000
Macaw wrote:

> Jan England wrote:
> >
> > What do you call a sulphur-crested cockatoo crossed with a galah?
> >
> > A cocklah of course (my interpretation)!

> I beg your pardon, but I thought that two species couldn't interbreed,
> and that if they DID manage, that the offspring would be infertile?
> Tom

Hybrids between some species of cockatoo are not unknown in the
wild, and are also found in aviculture.  These almost all are
between the "white" cockatoos, I know of no records of hybrids
between the black Cockatoos, apart from the subspecies of
Red-tailed Blacks.

There are records of the Gang Gang hybridising with both Galahs
and Corellas, with a record of a Gang Gang hen (wild) and a
Little Corella (escaped) producing a hybrid in the Blue
Mountains.

Galahs have been reported as producing hybrids with the Gang
Gang, Sulphur Crested, Major Mitchell, Little Corella and
Long-billed Corella.  Some of these are aviary records only but
Forshaw records wild hybrids with Majors and Little Corellas.

Cockatiels have been reported as hybridising with Red-rumps and
Blue-winged parrots, while perhaps the most unlikely hybrid is a
Princess parrot with an Indian Ringneck!

Most of these hybrids are fortunately infertile, however I
believe the Galah/Major cross can be fertile.  Most inter-species
crosses are infertile, for instance the
Turquoisine/Scarlet-chested Parrot hybrid is always infertile,
however the Scaly-breasted/Rainbow Lorikeet hybrid is always
fertile.

Intentional breeding of hybrids in Queensland, and I think all
other states, is illegal, so that lady on the Tablelands breeding
Sulphur/Galah hybrids had better be careful.

cheers,

Mike Owen
Queensland