birding-aus

Re: RFI Capertee valley

Subject: Re: RFI Capertee valley
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:04:45 -0500
I tried responding to this but it keeps getting rejected because "the
address had permanent fatal errors".  Anyway, maybe it's of general value...

At 10:02 AM 6/26/98 +1100, Rick Kuhn <> wrote:
>I would be very grateful for advice about good spots for bird watching in
>the Capertee valley and also about nearby accomodation. Is the valley good
>for bird watching in winter?

I was at Glen Davis last July... to a Minnesotan, it seemed like great
birding for winter!  (Regent HEs and just about everything else was still
around... Yellow Box was in bloom.)

I stayed at the bland but clean Colonial Motor Inn (about 6km W of
Lithgow), $A65.
(063) 588 211
84 Great Western Highway
Marrangaroo NSW 2790

Also I picked up a brochure at the odd little museum in GD for a place that
sounded interesting:
The Wombat Hilltop
Roy & Judy Rawson
'Grunty Fen'
Running Stream NSW 2850
tel/FAX (063) 588 211

$25 per person per night, +$5 for sheets & towels.  Includes firewood!  and
laundry facilities, etc.  It must be about 20KM past Capertee, the turnoff
to Glen Davis.

Finally, last year there was this recommendation from Peter & Jenny Farrell
<>
"If you are looking for a place to stay right in the middle of the Capertee
Valley, Goollooinboin Station has a nice little cottage you can rent out
very reasonably.  Basic but comfortable, and lots of birds in the garden
around the house.  Phone Sarah or Tim on 02 63 797 247 at Goolooinboin.
There's not much accommodation in the valley itself so I hope this is
helpful, I know many of the keen birders have stayed there already."

Stephen Greenfield
Minneapolis

+1-612-825-6202