birding-aus

Re: RFI Capertee Valley

Subject: Re: RFI Capertee Valley
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:04:28 +1000
I am regularly asked about birding and accommodation in the Capertee
Valley.  For the information of birding-ausers part of my reply to Rick is
duplicated:

The Capertee is good for birding all year round.  There are several
accommodation options in the valley depending on your budget etc.

1.  "Binalong". April Mills, Phone (02) 63797 326.  3 bedroom private house
- double bed downstairs with ensuite plus room upstairs with three single
beds, Extra people can be accommodated on the floors (mattresses provided),
access to all facilities, either bring bedding or April will provide, need
to bring own food.  Good birding on her property - Hooded Robin, Speckled
Warbler, Southern Whiteface, White-browed Babbler, Black-chinned
Honeyeater, Chestnut-rumped Hylacola, Diamond Firetail around house.  Cost
approx. $20- head per night.

2. "Goollooinboin". Tim and Sarah DeLange, Phone (02) 63797 247.  Very
comfortable cottage sleeping 8. Bring own bedding or available for $5-.
Good birding on property, most of the above species, Plum-headed Finches
occasionally around cottage (these seen elsewhere more easily).  Cost $180-
a weekend or $30- a head if fewer than three people.  Cheaper during the
week.

It is a good idea to book fairly well in advance, April's place is often
available on shorter notice.

Both of the above people have been very supportive of conservation efforts
for the Regent Honeyeater in the Capertee Valley and I have no hesitation
in recommending both to anyone looking for a convenient base in the valley.

This has been an unpaid advertisement.

David Geering