birding-aus

gps AND maps

Subject: gps AND maps
From: George Appleby <>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 09:23:01 -0816 (UTC)
Dear birding-ausers

I've followed the GPS discussion recently with interest as
I've had the recent opportunity to use one in the field.

I think that many comments on Birding-aus have missed the
point that regardless of where you may be atlasing or
birding generally should will always need maps. A GPS is
only a very useful addition to a map collection. What use
is a grid reference from a GPS if you still don't know
where you are if you don't have a map? You should
double check to see if the grid reference matches the map
when you are still in the field.

Thanks

George

On Wed, 6 May 1998 13:44:21 +1000 John Walter
<> wrote:

> Maybe I am going over
the top, but while I feel a GPS unit is the way to go
> I have still purchased maps to fill in gaps that I had for our up coming
> trip to WA. The last Atlas used 1-1,000,000 World Aeronautical Charts as
> one of the options. These maps have got very dear, but I have filled the
> gaps with 1-1,000,000 International Maps of the World which are essentially
> the same as the Aeronautical charts without the Magnetic variations. If
> Atlasers are only working in 1 degree grids these are adequate and
> relatively cheap at $7-50 each. But I agree, to do a trip like we are from
> Queensland to inland WA, up as far as Mt Augustus and back to the SW and
> home including Western Vic and NSW will take 16 maps. If the grids are
> smaller than 1 degree then a GPS is definitely the go cost wise.
>
> John Walter
> POBox 180
> Pittsworth
> Queensland