birding-aus

Re: gps AND maps

Subject: Re: gps AND maps
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:45:02 +1000
I must agree with George.  My experience with GPS working in forests of the
Sydney region is that we had to check locations given on a map and then
correct it in order to record the right coordinate or AMG reference.  The
reading given by the GPS invariably had us some distance from the road
where the reading was taken.  We also had problems with tree cover, often
having to move several hundred metres to get a gap in the trees in order to
get a reading in the first place.

A GPS will be a great asset when birding but the limitations should be
appreciated.  If all your birding is in mallee or agricultural land then
these limitations will be reduced but I expect that many birders will be
operating in forest and may well become frustrated.  The degree of error
probably won't make any difference when atlassing but there has been talk
about degrees of accuracy that I don't think is achievable under all
conditions.

David