birding-aus

Breeding sunbirds-more info/summery

Subject: Breeding sunbirds-more info/summery
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 00:52:39 +1000
Hi everyone.
This message is a follow-up in regards to unsuccessful breeding of Sunbirds
at our place.

In regards to Steven Ambrose's questions:
1.      It was quite easy to snake-proof the nest site, as it was attached to a
rafter, and this rafter was the only possible approach for snakes, rats,
etc. All I did was to staple in some distance a black plastic sheet around
it (like a shield). It looked secure enough, and I am quite experienced
with snakes. Whenever the young disappeared the nest was fully intact, so
no ripping into it like of Kookaburras or any other rough treatment.
2.      Human disturbance? Steven, on Dunk Island they were nesting in the bar
lounge (open building) off a hanging basket within 10 meters of the band,
which played every night. The female always sat tight even with the blaring
music, let alone people walking around there every day and night. They are
really very tolerant. And we took care of ours anyway.
3.      Not enough food? Well, we are at the edge to rainforest, and other
honeyeaters are Duskies, Macleay's, Gracefuls and Yellow-spotted's. It's a
rural setting, and there should be enough food all year around.
I think it must be one of your other suggestions, which was also Richard
Jordan's suggestion.

And to Ron Stannards question:
Yes, we are in the Papaya fruit-fly zone, but no baits are used in our
corner of the valley.

Thanks for all your input, and if they ever raise their young successfully
I have a party.
Happy Birding, Klaus
Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 133   SILKWOOD  QLD   Australia
http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama