birding-aus

RFI: Red-headed male Honeyeaters

To: <>
Subject: RFI: Red-headed male Honeyeaters
From: "Phil Joy" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 21:33:28 +0800
Hallo to all,
              After observing male Red - headed Honeyeaters Myzomela
erythrocephala that inhabit my garden, I have noticed that some birds' heads
are only partly red colored and the area covered and the amount of coloring
varies quite a lot.  In fact if it weren't for the presence of the red rump
they could be
mistaken for either female or immature birds
Can any one tell me the reasons for this.   Is the red hood only attained
during their breeding season or does the bird's age govern the hood
coverage?  If it is age, at what age does the bird's hood become completely
red.
Do the same differences exist in the male Scarlet Honeyeater Myzomela
sanguinolenta.
Regards,

Phil Joy
P O Box 21