birding-aus

Black 'chooks" are not trash birds....

To: Neville Pamment <>
Subject: Black 'chooks" are not trash birds....
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 08:39:32 +1000 (EST)
I am not claiming to speak for other northern birders, but I like black
kites (or 'chooks' as they are sometimes called in North Queensland). I
recall a thread on birding-aus around the middle of 1997 on black
kites taking out cane toads by flipping them on their backs and
feeding the non-toxic flesh to their nestlings.

I have begun to lodge 'Bird of Prey' watch sheets in North Queensland and
the initial data is showing some interesting patterns. Black kites are the
most numerous raptor on the coast and inland to about Charters Towers;
beyond that corvids seem to be the dominant scavanger. I will be looking
out for all raptors on a trip to Barcaldine next week (~1600 km round
trip from Townsville).

Also, on a trip to PNG in 1996 I was surprised to see brahminy kites
dominate south of the Central Highlands and black kites to the north.

Any comments?

Alex Appleman
Townsville