birding-aus

Re: Sacred Kingfishers in Melbourne

To: <>, "Neville Pamment" <>
Subject: Re: Sacred Kingfishers in Melbourne
From: "Robert Berry" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:55:54 +1100
Blind Bight, Westernport Bay, 3rd July 1996 - 2 Sacred Kingfishers (
together ) in Shrubby Glasswort close to the Mangroves. Suggests that these
were overwintering birds. They were present also in August '96.

The Atlas of Victorian Birds, Emison et al. 1987 gives records for all
months except June & July. By October they are about as common as they get
and they have pretty much disappeared by the end of March.

Robert the Pom Berry.
> From: Neville Pamment <>
> Subject: Sacred Kingfishers in Melbourne
> Date: Friday, 20 March 1998 17:02
>
> I live in Clifton Hill, an inner Melbourne suburb. There is extensive
> parkland nearby along the Yarra River and Merri Creek and much has been
> done in recent years to revegetate this. Sacred Kingfishers occur along
the
> river and creek all through spring and summer. This morning (March 20th)
at