birding-aus

RE: Raven query.

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: Raven query.
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:58:36 +1000
> I was pretty sure I saw Forest Ravens around Moggs Creek, near Aireys
> Inlet on the coast of the eastern Otways but when I mentioned them to
> Pauline Reilly she said she just puts them all down as ravens.

Well, I'm as sure as I can be (see your second question below for that
qualification!) that there ARE Forest Ravens as far east as Moggs Creek,
maybe a little further east to Anglesea.  I'm not all that sympathetic
to listing "Raven, sp." on a survey log, as I don't think it's really so
hard to split them in the field into "species" (whether they be good
species or not).

> How much genetic work has been done on the LR/AR/FR split ? Are we
> still sure they are different species - both biologically and
> genotypically ?

Anyone have their Christidis & Boles handy????

Cheers

Lawrie Conole
58 Holden Street, Fitzroy North 3068 Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Phone AH (03) 9486 4575
Ph Mob (0419) 588 993
Email <>