birding-aus

Re: American version of Wingspan

Subject: Re: American version of Wingspan
From: (Jim Hengeveld)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:22:11 -0500
Birding-aussers:

>I would be the last to admit I'm wrong but the American Birding Association
>publish a quality bimonthly journal called 'Birding',it is unlikely they
>also publish Bird Watcher's Digest.

Patricia is correct--Bird Watcher's Digest is published by Pardson
Corporation out of Marietta, Ohio:
  Bird Watcher's Digest
  P.O. Box 110
  Marietta, Ohio 45750-9977
  1-800-879-2473

>< At least two national publications are equivalent: Bird Watcher's
><Digest, published by the American Birding Association (probably the
><nearest equivalent) and Living Bird, published by the Cornell Laboratory of
><Ornithology (check out their web site at www.ornith.cornell.edu).

Bob's suggestions are good ones.  Of the two publications he mentions,
Living Bird is the more scholarly, BWD perhaps designed more for the
backyard birdwatcher.  This table of contents (from the website) is from
the latest Living Bird:

-8 CHASING SHADOWS by William Burt
----One man's photographic odyssey in search of rails.

14 MARCHING THROUGH VIRGINIA by Jerry Uhlman
----Exploring Civil War battlefields and birding opportunities
----along Robert E. Lee's final route of retreat.

20 THE SWALLOWS OF KAMPI YA PIPPA by Netta Pfeifer
----A season with Joy Adamson in Africa.

24 BIRDS AND AIRCRAFT: ON A COLLISION
----COURSE? by Peter Friederici
----Researchers race to develop effective techniques to avoid
----catastrophic collisions between birds and aircraft.

Departments

--4 LETTERS

--5 BIRDNEWS

Columns

-3 GREETINGS FROM SAPSUCKER WOODS by Tim Gallagher

-6 FLYING FIELD by Mel White
----Bright, shining bookmarks

31 IN THE FIELD by Jack Connor
----Courtship testing

35 PROFILE by Anne W. Semmes
----Chandler Robbins

38 THE CATBIRD SEAT by Pete Dunne
-----Policing ourselves

You can subscribe over the web or via mail or phone call to:

       Cornell Lab of Ornithology
       Membership Department
       PO Box 11
       Ithaca, New York 14851

Or call 607-254-2425 to start your membership today (using your VISA,
MasterCard, or DISCOVER card).  All funds must be in U.S. currency.

Good luck....Jim

James D. Hengeveld                      Biology Dept.
Bloomington, Indiana  47405             Indiana University
812:  855-5353