birding-aus

Western vs Little Corella?

Subject: Western vs Little Corella?
From: (Harvey Perkins)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:23:02 +1000
Hi all, particularly those in perth/WA,

I was recently in Perth and the South-West of WA for a conference/holiday.
It was excellent and I'll post a report a little later, but for now I have
a question about the distribution of Little and Western Corellas in Perth.

We took a cruise up the Swan River and had two sightings of Corellas.  The
first was a pair feeding in a paddock by the river, one was quite grubby,
presumably with dirt from grubbing around looking for onionweed bulbs or
whatever.  The second sighting was of three birds in a large gum tree onm
the banks of the river.

Unfortunately with the motion of the boat and the distances involved I
couldn't make a definitive ID so don't know if they were Western or Little
Corellas. Both sightings would have been within 20km north-east of Perth
City.  Distribution maps in the field guide I had with me (Pizzey & Knight
- yes I did take my largest and heaviest one with me!!)  seem to imply that
Little Corellas do not occur in or around Perth; but details in most
guides, including Richard and Sarah Thomas' book, imply that to see Western
Corellas you need to go to sites either north or south of Perth.

Can anyone give me any indication as to the most likely ID of these Corellas?

Cheers

Harvey

Dr Harvey D. Perkins
Divn Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Faculty of Science
Australian National University          |  Editor, Gang-gang (Newsletter of
Canberra, ACT, 0200, Australia          |  Canberra Ornithologists' Group)
ph:(02) 6249 2663; fax:(02) 6249 0313   |  42 Summerland Circuit
email:         |  Kambah, ACT, 2902