birding-aus

Re: Collared Doves and other dangerous escapees

Subject: Re: Collared Doves and other dangerous escapees
From: (Debra Sparn)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:13:09 -0600 (MDT)
Birding Aussers,

These doves are now in pockets all over the western United States.  They
are no longer to confined to Florida.  I am aware of Collared Doves in
Oklahoma, two groups here in Colorado and a recent report in Idaho.

This begs the question (and I think that I know the answer, but I will
leave it to those of you who are more knowledgeable than I), why do
introduced birds do so well, when so many native birds are so hard to save?
 There are locally extirpated birds all over this continent and many
extinct.  I'm sure, and have witnessed in your discussions, that it is true
Down-Under.  It is scary.  I believe the answers are all habitat, but how
did we all end up with the mange that we call House Sparrows?  And I know
that you all have the love-hate relationship with the Euro. Starling.
(Well, actually some don't share the love part, even though they are quite
comical.  They are a huge menace to our cavity nesters.  I have seen them
drive-off nesting birds twice their size.)  Just my two-cents-worth.

Debra

Marjorie N. Wisby writes:

[snip]

>My _National Geographic Society: Field Guide to the Birds of North America_,
>(Second Edition, 1996) gives the same info. . . . The Collared is also in NA -
>"breeding widely in southern Florida". The R T-d is "not firmly established
>anywhere" - so it may not be such a pest.

Debra Sparn                                       (303) 492-5008
Graduate Secretary                                (303) 492-0969 fax
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Colorado at Boulder
Campus Box 287
Boulder, Colorado  80303