birding-aus

Re: Birdwatching databases

To: "Cliffe, Neil" <>
Subject: Re: Birdwatching databases
From: Chris Lester <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:58:20 -0712 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:07:00 +1000 "Cliffe, Neil" <>
wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Can anyone out there reccommend "Birdinfo for Windows"or .......

Neil,

I have used the DOS version of Birdinfo (initially) and Birdinfo for Windows
now for
over two years.  Noting all the other comments you are receiving, it depends
what you weant to use it for.

I use it to record my lifelists (at world, country and state levels) and to
produce
checklists for the countries I am going to visit.  It has a lot of flexibility
and
capability in doing the things I want it to do.  The country lists are still
relatively
limited, but are being added to constantly by Simon and any users.  (I did one
for
Mexico last year and Simon was adding it to the database - it is quite simple
and
only a little time consuming.  You can limit the amount of work by going to
countries with no or few birds.)  The different sequences you can use for the
species are also good.

Simon also provided excellent support when I was starting to use the program
and subsequently when I encountered any problems.  He is constantly improving
the program and fixing bugs that are discovered.  The upgrades are inexpensive
or free depending on the circumstances.

I do not use the field recording bits of the program, but they look quite
comprehensive to me.  They take up most of the instructions and I think they
are
why Simon developed the program in the first place.

I can't compare this program to the other offerings because I haven't used
them.
But, I am prepared to recommend Birdinfo for Windows.  It is one of the better
$100s I have invested.

Chris Lester
Project Manager, Ports
Coastal and Ports Policy Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
7/250 Victoria Parade
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9412 4987        Fax: 61 3 9412 4392
E-mail: