birding-aus

RE: Bird Database WBplus

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: Bird Database WBplus
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:33:40 +1000
> I use WBPlus North America (A MS Foxpro Database in Windows), but now
> there
> are an Australian Version Peters Checklist version. It is also
> possible to
> get WBPlus in Sibly & Monroe taxonomy.

For the taxonomically minded, BirdInfo can handle quite a few
permutations and combinations of sequence and taxonomy by toggling
several supplied options (not extras):
(i) Clements or Sibley & Monroe,
(ii) Christidis & Boles or not,
(iii) your own designer taxonomy, or not.

> If you inter a trip report for example from Arizona in the USA, you
> can
> update both your Arizona list, north america list, ABA area, and world
> list.

BirdInfo does this too.

> must have a printer attached to your computer. It is not possible to
> transfer the comments of each species seen on a trip listed in trip
> reports
> to a MS Word document.

BirdInfo outputs in several wordprocessor & spreadsheet formats (to edit
in Word or Excel for example).

> It is possible to print out checklists from each state and country for
> all
> birds occuring, birds not seen and/or heared in that country/state,
> and
> checklists for birds not seen anywhere else in the world. In other
> words it
> is possible to have printed checklist for each country of birds not
> seen
> before and total lists for that particular country/state. For example
> there

BirdInfo can do this too .....

> possible to print report of critical, endangered, vunerable, near
> threated
> species etc for each country, continent, state

..... but not this.

> It would be best to backup the 8Mbyte program on a Zip Drive 100 mbyte
> disc.
> THe execute files are large and cannot fit into one floppy.

This is excellent advice.  Backing up is one of the few "housekeeping"
things I'm really obssessed with.  After spending dozens or even
hundreds of hours keying in 20 years of birding, a hard disk crash
without backed up data would be too awful to contemplate.  Back up
often, and like Niels says, 100 MB ZipDisks are very useful for big
chunks of data (that's about 70 floppy disk's worth).

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

http://yarra.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/painted.html
http://www.xnet.com/~ugeiser/Birds/TripReports/JavaBali96.html