birding-aus

Dog-eating pelicans and Change of Address

Subject: Dog-eating pelicans and Change of Address
From: Glen Ingram <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:30:56 +1000
NB Please note my change of address

my other address and its server has vanished, literally!!!!

Below is some interesting correspondence: what about the non-fish-eating
predatory pelicans??

Glen Ingram
Brisbane, Australia

Dear David,
Amazing stuff. Talking of "out of character" occurrences, we watched a
pelican grab, entrap in its pouch, gradually drown and swallow a
three-quarters-grown Egyptian Gosling near Cape Town a couple of years
ago. While it did its "eating" the other pelicans kept the parents at
bay; actually they appeared to assist in the snatching of the gosling.
Remember the Australian one that got the lady's chihuahua on the jetty
at the Gold Coast, Queensland, a couple of years ago? Reminds me: I must
post something about predatious pelicans.

Just how fish-orientated are pelicans in the culinary area?

Many thanks David.

Glen
Brisbane, Australia.

"The fault is great in man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common;
But what can plead that man's excuse
Who steals a common from a goose."