birding-aus

Re: RFI: Townsville birding

To: robert handfield <>
Subject: Re: RFI: Townsville birding
From: Marjorie Wisby <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 01:00:55 +1000 (EST)
Hi there,

In lieu of any other response, I'll try to help.

At 03:04 AM 15/06/97 -0400, you wrote:
>My wife and I will have about a day and 1/2 in Townsville next weekend to
>go birding while on a business trip there.  Can anyone suggest the 2 or 3
>spots that are must see for birds in the general Townsville area (specific
>directions would be appreciated)?  I'll have a car so transportation not a
>problem

The first is the Town Common. Absolutely fantastic spot. Over 200 species,
and some really good ones. It's an environmental park, and the drive from
the gate to the fathest spot is about 7.5 kms, so not a small place. There
are maps readily available, and info sheets at the gate. The ranger is very
helpful, too.

A book, called (strangely enough) "Birds of the Townsville Common" by
Stephen Garnett is available, and it has descriptions and illustrations of
many of the species. It is not essential - but I use mine every time I go
there, as it makes it easier in a lot of situations.

The Common is between Rowes Bay and Pallarenda, on the road to Pallarenda.
This road runs off Warburton St at a set of lights. It is clearly marked as
the turnoff to Rowes Bay and Cape Pallarenda.

There is enough there to keep you busy for longer than you will have free -
but for a bit of variety, you could have a look at the Cromarty Siding road
(where we saw a Jabiru in the nest with 2 young about 3 weeks ago, and a
Brahminy kite nest).

Magnetic Island is quite good, but you would need a full day tere, and the
Common would probably be more rewarding for such a large percentage of your
time.

Anderson Park, on Gulliver St Pimlico, is another place of interest, as are
the Palmetum, Queen's Gardens and the James Cook University campus.

For more info on the region, and Townsville in particular, Jo Wieneke's book
"Where to Find Birds in North Queensland" is perhaps the best and most
easily available.

The Bird Observers Club knows the birding around here - you could try
Marleen Acton on (077) 257 545 as a good contact.

As a lesser contact, I can be reached on (077) 257 130. Ususally, anyway. <g>

Hope this helps. If you would like more info, don't hesitate to write or call.
TTYL,

Marjorie
Townsville, NQ
Caranus 16 - good rowing!
 ~   Marjorie N. Wisby                    From every mountain-side   ~
 ~                        Let Freedom ring.        ~
 ~   http://www.ultra.net.au/~wisby          - Samuel Francis Smith  ~
 ~                                                 (_America_)       ~
 ~  Have you noticed that people who are most unwilling to accept    ~
 ~  responsibility for their own actions, are the most keen to       ~
 ~  regulate everyone else's?                                        ~