birding-aus

Re: RFI: Boigu and Saibai Islands (near PNG)

Subject: Re: RFI: Boigu and Saibai Islands (near PNG)
From: (Peter McLauchlan)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:12:34 +1000
On 7/4/97 Richard Norton wrote:

>Would anyone here have any information on  Boigu and Saibai Islands, which
>are just south of Papua New Guinea?
>
>I am particularly interested in how you get there, and whether there are
>accommodations, and if so, what are they like.
>
>Have there been any articles on them in Australian birding magazines?

G'day Dick,

Funny you should ask!

I've just finished reading an interesting article 'Saibai Island, Torres
Strait - worth a visit' by Peter Lansley in the latest issue (Autumn 1997,
pp.18-19) of 'Australian Birding' magazine. There's also a Boigu Island
update by Peter Lansley on p. 24. Peter makes reference to Rory O'Brien's
trip report on Boigu in the Spring 1995 issue of 'Australian Birding'.

David Andrew (Editor of 'Australian Birding' - the Magazine for the
Compleat Birder) can be contacted at PO Box 9, World Trade Centre,
Melbourne VIC 3005, Phone (03)9534 9909 - he may be able to help you with
contact details.

Hope this helps.

*   Peter C. McLauchlan                 Email:   *
*   Senior Technical Officer                          Fax: (049) 21 7058  *
*   Electrical & Computer Engineering               Phone: (049) 21 6145  *
*   The University of Newcastle                                           *
*   CALLAGHAN NSW 2308 AUSTRALIA                                          *