birding-aus

Re: Atherton Scrubwrens

To: BIRDING-AUS Mail <>
Subject: Re: Atherton Scrubwrens
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:58:48 +1000 (EET)
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Alan McBride wrote:

> I would go as far as to say that I doubt that most Aussies have a real
> Atherton SW on their list! I suspect they have all ended up frustrated and
> "ticked"  Largebilled SW in desperation two hours before having to leave the
> Tablelands, while going away convinced it was "a doddle to clean up on the
> Tablelands"!

This thread is getting a wee bit silly!

I saw Atherton Scrubwrens in a few spots on the Atherton and Mount Carbine
Tablelands.  I may be wrong or stating the obvious here, but aren't they
predominantly terrestrial or at least they mostly get around on fallen
logs, etc. near the ground, whereas Large-billed SWs are predominantly
arboreal.  I seem to recall that they sounded different too.  They were
generally in groups of 6+, and I've rarely seen any other scrubwren (LB,
White-browed, Yellow-throated) consistently in groups of that size.
Otherwise they are just about the quintessential "little brown bird" -
uniformly chestnut-brown, with a large bill.

On one trip some years ago, I started birding before first light at Mount
Hypimamee (The Crater), and found Chowchillas, Australian Fernwrens &
Atherton Scrubwrens to be fairly abundant in the very first light, along
the edge of the tarmac road.  The dazzling eyebrows & ear-splitting calls
of the Fernwrens were rather obvious before there was much light at all.
I've seen ASWs at Julatten too, a number of times.

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia