birding-aus

Atherton Scrubwrens

To: "Ronald D. Batie" <>
Subject: Atherton Scrubwrens
From: Alan McBride <>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:53:25 +1100
Ron,

> I managed to pick up a fair number of birds in
>Queensland, but if I "armed" with even the vaguest reference as to where
>I might find that Atherton scrub wren I am there.

They don't exist. You have to have two separate sightings of Large billed
Scrubwren and count each of them as the two sep. sp..:-)

I would go as far as to say that I doubt that most Aussies have a real
Atherton SW on their list! I suspect they have all ended up frustrated and
"ticked"  Largebilled SW in desperation two hours before having to leave the
Tablelands, while going away convinced it was "a doddle to clean up on the
Tablelands"!

Next time you are in Aust give us a call and I'll tell you how to "string
these convincingly:-)

Best wishes

Alan

*********************************