birding-aus

Forty-spotted Pardalote

Subject: Forty-spotted Pardalote
From: (Alistair Poore)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:54:38 +1000 (EST)
        Thanks again to all that gave me information on Forty-spotted
Pardalote for my Hobart trip. The birds were found without any problem at
McCrackens Gully on Bruny Island but the weather didn't allow wonderful
views. Dark, overcast skies meant that the birds up high were in silhouette
and we had to stand around in the rain to get some closer views.
        We didn't see an enormous number of birds on Bruny Island, but did
well for endemics, seeing all in one day except for Scrubtit and Tasmanian
Thornbill.  It was very good for honeyeaters with some patches having
Strong-billed, Yellow-throated, Black-headed, Crescent, New Holland,
Eastern Spinebill and Yellow Wattlebird.  I was also suprised by the large
numbers of Kelp Gulls.  Are they that common throughout Tasmania?
        Also spotted some mammals with Bottle-nosed Dolphin, Brush-tail
Possum, Red-necked Wallaby and the wildlife highlight for the day - Eastern
Quoll.

         Alistair G.B. Poore
                School of Biological Science
                University of New South Wales
                NSW   2052
                AUSTRALIA

                ph    61 2 385 2080       fax    61 2 662 2913
                email