birding-aus

Re: White - Naped Honeyeater

Subject: Re: White - Naped Honeyeater
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 13:18:11 +1000
> I believe this sort of behaviour is not that unusual for white-ears - the
> late Alec Chisholm has a photo of the same species on Keith Hindwood's head
> in his book "Bird Wonders of Australia" (4th ed 1956), and devotes a whole
> chapter of the book to "BIrds that steal human hair".

I have a photo of a White-Eared Honeyeater sitting on a friends head
trying to extract hairs.  This was taken this taken in Faulconbridge
(Blue Mountains outside Sydney) about 10kms from the site Ron mentions
but 10 years later so its unlikely to have be the same individual.

I used to spend a lot of time in White-Eared habitat in the Blue Mountains
and this was the only individual I encountered that did this.

But I guess they are nesting building for only a small fraction of
the year + I wore a hat sometimes.

Andrew Taylor