birding-aus

Re: RFI: recipe for pelagic birds

Subject: Re: RFI: recipe for pelagic birds
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 16:19:17 EST10
The chum that we use off New South Wales which seems to work well is a mixture
of beef fat (which you can buy from butchers), chopped up blocks of sardines
(from fishing shops) and if you can get it sharks liver is fantastic!! if you
can't get sharks liver try tuna oil (again from fishing shops). Chop it all up
in a big bucket (cover it in tuna oil if no sharks liver) and throw out a
little bit often. If you stop try just getting a slick with liver or oil, birds
sometimes seem to come into that too.
You will find that this works fine.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Cheers
Phil Hansbro

Hi all,

There's to be an RAOU pelagic trip from Perth in August. I would appreciate
info on what sort of bait would be suitable to attract seabirds, where to
get them and how to prepare them (the bait, not the birds!).

There hasn't been a pelagic out of Perth for a long time and I hope to be
able to post a short trip report.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Kim