birding-aus

Re: Red Rumped Swallows

Subject: Re: Red Rumped Swallows
From: (Tony Palliser)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 22:01:12 +1100
re Red-rumped Swallows

I believe this species is officially on the Australian list as H.daurica
because at the time of the original record this species was lumped with
Striolata. Technically I suspect this species should now be removed from
the Australian list because of all the sightings (including some of my own
findings) have not been specifically identified to subspecific and now
specific level.

Coates suggests in his book that the birds that reach PNG and Northern
Australia could be H. striolata extending their range as they are resident as
close as the Philippines.  Although general consensus locally is that our birds
are over shooting migratory H.daurica, probably from Asia passing over the
top of the resident population rather like the Little Ringed Plovers?

Identification of the birds that reach Australia still remains a major problem
Particularly the wintering scruffy individuals that we get. I have yet to read
anything that points to a single daignostic feature that can be used to
identify birds in this plumage.

Can anyone provide a reference to help resolve this?

Best Regards
Tony