birding-aus

1996 NSW, Australia, pelagics.

Subject: 1996 NSW, Australia, pelagics.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 19:21:40 EST10
Dear all,

These are all of the pelagic trips that are organised to go out off New South
Wales, Australia for 1995. They are all non-profit making trips and just a
group of people getting together to try and see and survey some seabirds.
Basically boats go out of Wollongong on the FOURTH Sunday of EVERY MONTH and
Sydney boats go out on the SECOND SATURDAY of every SECOND MONTH starting in
February. You should contact me or Tony Palliser for further details and to
book.
28.1.96 -Wollongong
10.2.96 - Sydney
25.2.96 - Wollongong
24.3.96 - Wollongong
13.4.96 - Sydney
28.4.96 - Wollongong
26.5.96 - Wollongong
8.6.96 - Sydney
23.6.96 - Wollongong
28.7.96 - Wollongong
10.8.96 - Sydney
25.8.96 - Wollongong
29.9.96 - Wollongong
12.10.96 - Sydney
27.10.96 - Wollongong
24.11.96 - Wollongong
14.12.96 - Sydney
Wollongong
The boat (the Sandra K) leaves from Wollongong harbour at 7.00 am and returns
usually between 4.30 and 5.30 pm. The boat takes 2 and a half hours to reach
the shelf we then keep going out looking for trawler's and currents to a
distance of about 35 miles usually. The cost is $45 depending on numbers (23
allowed), the boat will not go with less than 13 people and the trip hasn't
been cancelled for at least 3 years, it is very reliable. The boat is 35 foot
long, is fairly stable with good viewing but is quite slow and is quite basic.
You don't get tea or coffee.

Sydney
The boat leaves from Rose Bay harbour, Sydney at 7.00am and returns at 3.30 pm.
The boat takes 1 and a half hours to reach theand may go a bit further out,
especially with people on board. The cost is $60. The boat is about 60 foot and
is quite luxurious, very stable (viewing is difficult when the boat is moving
at speed when going to the shelf and I don't think we would see many inshore
birds) and very fast. We stop for tea/coffee and biscuits.

Cheers

Phil Hansbro
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association

PH; (h) 06-2498234, (w) 06-2493091, Fax 06-2494891
Tony Palliser

Ph: (h) 02-4277563