birding-aus

Removing birds from the Australian list

Subject: Removing birds from the Australian list
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 13:23:57 +1000
My two bob's worth is as follows:

1. If a bird is intorduced, then becomes extinct, then it should drop,
unlamented, from the list. I bet there are several species that were
introduced, persisted for a time, and then died out=97good, I can't see any
reason to continue record them on the list (perhaps in an appendix).

2. Native species should be kept on the list if they become extinct as there
is always a possibility that they may be rediscovered. Even if they are
extinct they once were part of the bird fauna and their inclusion can
function as a warning how easily species can become extinct (Regent
Honeyeater, Painted ditto, Orange-bellied Parrot, &c).
John Leonard