birding-aus

Re: Snipe banding results - Belmont Common, Geelong

Subject: Re: Snipe banding results - Belmont Common, Geelong
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 22:54:37 +1000 (EST)
Just to set the record straight, the Latham's Snipe which lost a REPORTED
8 grams between bandings weighed around 160g initially.  That puts it
round about the 5% error margin, unless I'm wrong.  The recorder
mentioned 164g, but I'm not sure if this was at 1st or 2nd weigh-in.

To put things in perspective, when my wife was rowing lightweight at
international level, she would sometimes have to shed weight at a similar
rate (i.e. dropping 3kg from 60 to 57 to 'make weight'), then race 2000m!

Does anyone have data on weight gain and loss over short periods of time?
I mean for birds, not rowers!!  I'm sure I've seen some data somewhere,
and I THINK this 8 grams is well within the sort of things that can
happen to a bird in a swamp on a cold & windy night.  By the way, the
times for weighing were approx 7 or 8 pm then 6 am.

Russell Woodford
PS Anybody who is desperate to sponsor a twitchthon team, get in touch.
We think we'll see 160-182 species.  That's weather and tide dependent.
Thanks.